What is Average Time?
Average time is measured only on submitted forms i.e. if a user visited the form and did not click submit, the average time is not reported.
- Average time for forms is measured from the second the page is opened until the user clicks ‘Submit’.
- Average time for fields is measured from the second they click into the field to when they click into another field.
What is a good average time?
This will completely depend on the type of fields you include and the purpose of your form. Paragraph-long questions take longer than multiple choice; a census form that spans over multiple pages will take longer than a contact form...etc. If you notice the average time going over 20 minutes in a long survey consider reformatting - this is when attention span really starts to drop.
To optimize your forms and surveys consider the following advice from Survey Monkey:
- Surveys that take longer than 8 minutes have higher abandonment rates.
- Longer surveys work better in a work setting rather than a customer setting
- People lose interest quickly. On average, respondents spend just over a minute on the first questions and a total of 5 minutes on a survey of 10 questions.
- Including more questions means respondents will spend less time on each individual question